Web Data Integration and Data Management
- Advanced Bachelor or Master/Diploma in
Applied Computer Science or Information Systems (Wirtschaftsinformatik)
- Prerequisites/Vorbedingungen: Basic Knowledge in e.g. XML and/or RDF
- 6 ECTS
- Number of participants: max. 10
- Language: German and english are allowed. Reading of english text/documentation
- first meeting at the beginning of the semester:
Monday 2.11. 14h c.t. SR 2.101, IFI: First Meeting
Assignment of topics and papers.
- Nov/Dec: preparation of case studies and presentations, individual meetings
- Jan/Feb: presentations.
There is a lot of data available in the Web and in the Semantic Web. Web data is usually
provided in a human-readable form of Web pages (including forms, the so-called Deep Web),
while it cannot be processd in a database-style way by users. Data Extraction,
e.g. from the CIA World Factbook or from Wikipedia, is thus a neverending "hot topic".
Apart from pattern-based approaches, also Natural Language Processing Approaches are
The Semantic Web (cf. lecture Semantic Web) makes
some attempts to provide, extend and/or annotate Web Data towards a machine-readable way.
For this, the RDF data format is used, together with the OWL ontology language for
- WebScrapping via Browser Automation with Selenium
Comment: Evaluate, do a case study, and describe. Neither XML nor RDF knowledge required,
but practical competence obviously needed.
- WebScrapping with OXPath/Diadem (Oxford Univ.)
Comment: Evaluate, do a case study, and describe. Based on XPath/XML. No RDF knowledge required, but XML/XPath
Pagoda (Oxford Univ.) : PAGOdA exploits a hybrid approach to answering conjunctive queries over OWL 2 ontologies
that combines a datalog reasoner with a fully-fledged OWL 2 reasoner.
- A theoretical paper that presents a true algebra over RDF data.
Leonid Libkin, Juan L. Reutter, Domagoj Vrgoc:
Trial for RDF: adapting graph query languages for RDF data. PODS 2013: 201-212
- The google maps and google street maps APIs.
Comment: Evaluate, do a case study and describe.
- RDF Annotations in HTML: RDF-A
- to be extended
Note: Papers can be found via the DBLP
(originally, DBLP meant "Databases and Logic Programming", but by now it covers all topics in
or simply by searching for the paper title with google (this often yields the pdf directly).
A list of other papers of the same authors can then be found via DBLP.
Form of the Seminar
The intention of the seminar is to get an overview of the state of the art in data integration
from the Web and background data management.
For each topic, the following has to be done:
- a written tutorial-style paper that gives an overview of an
- evaluate some tools, write a report (installation, functionality,
usability, ...) [optionally german or english]
- prepare an illustrative medium-size case study using one or more tools
- a presentation giving the tutorial and showing a demo of how to
use it (about 90 minutes incl. discussion; optionally german or english).