The LoPiX-Mondial Case Study: Data Integration in XML
case study illustrates data integration in XML using the
LoPiX is an implementation of the XML XML querying and data
manipulation language XPathLog.
The case study is based on XML representations of the sources which
have been used for generating the Mondial
- CIA World
- Global Statistics
which has been collected by Johan van der Heijden.
- additional textual sources for coordinates,
- the International Atlas by Kümmerly & Frey, Rand
McNally, and Westermann,
- and some geographical data of the Karlsruhe TERRA database.
The original HTML sources have been mapped to XML using wrappers with
FLORID system (see here).
- The individual sources in XML format
(note that most browsers to not *show* XML and DTD files
correctly. Download the file(s) and load them into an editor)
The integration of the above sources has been done in
- The integration is described in the in the report
Information Integration in XML: The
Mondial Case Study.
Wolfgang May; Preliminary Report, Institut
für Informatik, Universität Freiburg, March 2001.
- Integration Program
Integrated XML Database
- The XML database can be found at the Mondial homepage.
(Note that in since then, the database has been revised).