- regularly: PO 2006-2011: 2 SWS + 1 SWS Exercises/Übung; 4 ECTS-Credits; BSc.
- regularly: PO 2011: 2 SWS + 1 SWS Exercises/Übung; 5 ECTS-Credits; BSc.
- WS05/06, WS06/07, and WS07/08: 3 SWS + 1 SWS Exercises/Übung; 6 ECTS-Credits (Export
to TU Clausthal)
The course is usually taught in the winter term. For students in BSc Applied
Informatics, it is strongly recommended to attend the course in the 3rd semester
in case they are interested to attend also the the SQL lab, or advanced courses
in the database area already in the BSc studies.
The module is an introductory course to (relational) databases:
- Conceptual modeling (ER model)
- Logical modeling: relational model
- Relational algebra (theoretical foundations for query languages)
- SQL queries
- Syntax of SQL DDL, DML:Updates
- Overview of database internals: physical storage, optimization, query evaluation
- Overview of multiuser aspects, transactions, safety
- Overview of formal database design/normalization
The course uses the Mondial database for
illustrations and practical experiments.
The course can optionally be continued with the SQL Lab.